MAYOR GIL ESTANISLAO FERNANDO
September 1, 1905 – January 22, 2001
Recognized for his integrity, eloquence and learning, he built and repaired schools. Together with Mr. TOMAS L. SANTOS, he established the Marikina High School (1947)
On this present site, he built a two-room Gabaldon type school building out of craft materials from the demolished Military Barracks in “PALIPARAN” or Airfield in Parang, Marikina used by te Philippine-American Forces during World War II.
This School has evolved into the Leodegaio Victorino Memorial High School (LVMHS) 1952, Marikina School of Arts and Trades (MSAT) 1957, Marikina Institute of Science and Technology (MIST) 1978, and Marikina Polytechnic College (MPC) 2004.
He is remembered as “EDUCATION MAYOR” by grateful Marikeños.
In 1990, a school called Leogardo Victorino Memorial High School was founded in Chanyungco St., Sta. Elena, Marikina, Rizal in honor of Leogardo Victorino, a former councilor in the town of Marikina.
After the town of Marikina became a city, the Leogardo Victorino Memorial High School became an institutional school and was renamed as Marikina Institute of Science and Technology (MIST). In 2001, Marikina Science High School(MSHS) broke from Marikina Institute of Science and Technology. By the power of R.A. 9289, MIST's college sector was renamed as Marikina Polytechnic College (MPC).
The former principal, Mr. Lauro Z. de Guzman was now promoted to become Marikina City's DepEd District 2 Supervisor leaving the school's officers in charge to spearhead the school's administration.
August 24, 2009, the staff of the school of both campuses announced that Mr. Edgardo L. Nieto is the new principal of Marikina Science High School (formerly known as MIST). Years ago when MSHS was still known as MIST he was a MAPEH teacher. When MIST became MSHS he was transferred to different public schools in Marikina such as Malanday, Marikina Heights and others to be their principal. He left MIST around 2002 and returned after 7 years to take the position left by Mr. de Guzman.
The Marikina Polytechnic College (MPC) was founded on July 18, 1947 as Marikina Junior High School through Municipal Council Resolution No. 59 s. 1947. From then on, it has gone through several transformations as an educational institution until its conversion into Marikina School of Arts and Trades in 1956 under RA 1856. On May 8, 1978, the school was renamed as Marikina Institute of Science and Technology (MIST) with Malacañang’s approval.
The school was selected as the National Center for Technical Education and Staff Development (NCTESD) in 1981 by the Technical Vocational Education Project of the Philippines (TVEP) due to its experience and capability in the field of technical education and training.
In view of the creation of the Commission on Higher Education (CHED) in 1994, the supervision of MIST was transferred from the Department of Education (DepEd) to CHED and to the Technical Education and Skills Development Authority (TESDA) during school year 2000-2001 pursuant to Special Provision No. 8 of the General Appropriations Act (GAA) of FY 2000. This provision also required the phase-out of the baccalaureate degree programs composed of the Bachelor of Science in Industrial Education and the Bachelor of Secondary Education; the laboratory high school; and the graduate studies program.
On April 14, 2004, MIST was converted into a state college named as Marikina Polytechnic College under RA 9289. MPC was placed under the joint supervision of the CHED and TESDA.